Contact Us

Why would you need to modify child support?

Sometimes, it's necessary to ask the court to modify your child support arrangements. To do this, you'll have to ask the court to modify your support order.

You may have several reasons for seeking a child support order modification. There are a couple common reasons that judges see often including:

  • A change in jobs/earnings
  • A change in living conditions
  • A change in the custodial parent's living conditions
  • Changes to custody orders

Here's an example. If you previously paid child support and had your child 30 percent of the time but have just won an order to have your child 70 percent of the time, a judge may reduce how much you pay in child support, since the other parent isn't caring for the child as often as before.

Another example would be if you are changing jobs or have been demoted at work and will earn less than you do now. You may need to have the support order altered to help you continue to make fair payments.

What should you do if you can't afford to pay support?

Try not to pay less than you're ordered, and never stop paying, even if you can't afford the full amount. If you don't pay child support, you can be found in contempt of court and could have your wages garnished. Seek a modification and wait for it to be approved before you change what you pay the other parent. Your attorney can help you prepare your documents to show why the modification is necessary in your case and how it will help you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Us

How May We Help You?

We know you have many questions and concerns on your mind. To schedule a personal consultation with an attorney, please call 504-361-0018 or fill out our contact form.

How May We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law firm of Hesni & Parrales, PLC

Office Location

The Law Firm of Hesni & Parrales, PLC
407 Huey P Long Ave
Gretna, LA 70053

Phone: 504-605-2048
Phone: 504-361-0018
Fax: 504-361-9728
Gretna Law Office Map