Experience And Trust Go

Child support: Your child deserves it, and you can seek it out

| Apr 10, 2020 | Child Support |

As your child grows up, they tend to need more financial support. First, it started small. They needed food and clothing. Now, they’re starting school. They’ll need to pay school fees, to pay for field trips and to pack a lunch. They’ll need new school clothes, too.

You can only imagine how much more costly this will be as your child continues to age. That’s why it’s so important that you’re getting your child support payments on time and in full.

Your child’s other parent hasn’t been making full payments, and that is a problem. Though they’re trying, the reality is that you’re not going to be able to get your child everything they need unless the other parent steps up. You’re doing as much as you can on your own, and this shouldn’t be a one-person job.

What can you do if the other parent isn’t paying in full?

To start with, it may be a good idea to talk to them. See if they aren’t earning enough to make the payments or if there is another reason that it’s not affordable. If there is a problem, then the other parent should seek a child support modification through the court. The court will review their income and other factors to determine an amount of support that is fair.

If the other parent is not paying but has the capability to pay, there are other options, like wage garnishment, that may be used to take payments from their accounts directly. Your attorney can give you more information based on the reason for the missing support.