Experience And Trust Go

Can you alter child custody in Louisiana?

| Jun 18, 2020 | Child Custody |

When awarding child custody in Louisiana, the judge’s priority is to decide what is best for your children. However, what is best for your children then may not be what is best for your children now. If things have changed, you may want to go back to court and ask the judge to make changes to the custody agreement.

If the other parent agrees, things will be more straightforward. If they don’t, you will need legal support to polish your argument and present it convincingly.

You can ask for a modification because things have got better. Perhaps you are in a better financial situation than before and can now afford to have your child live with you. Maybe you were struggling to look after yourself, let alone your child before, but have turned your life around and want to make up for the lost time.

You can ask for a change to your child custody arrangement because things have got worse for your child. Maybe your ex-spouse has fallen in love with the bottle. Perhaps they have a new partner who does not tolerate your child.

Or you can ask to make changes for less dramatic reasons. Maybe you are moving to the next town. Perhaps you have changed jobs and are now free to have the kids during the week. There are all sorts of reasons.

The one thing to remember, as with your original child custody agreement, is that a judge will consider is what is best for the kids.